Nash Mills Village Hall was built as a result of the determination of the people of Nash Mills to provide a place of their own for recreational and social activities. A strong Community spirit had developed in Nash Mills as a result of the Second World War and a group of villagers agreed to proceed with the 'village hall scheme'. With their enthusiasm and £60 from the Home Guard Fund, further money was raised by various means. When £400 was accummulated, it was decided to buy a plot of land. Fortunately the owners of John Dickinson's, where many of the residents of Nash Mills worked, donated the land to the people of the Parish. However it took a further five years to raise £700 following which an agreement was made between the Village Hall Committee, mainly drawn from employees of the Mill, and the National Council of Social Service to provide a hall.
The Council contributed £2,181 and the Village Hall Committee £1,061. The Hall was built by C Brightman & Son Ltd of Watford and P W Prevett, LRIBA, of Bovingdon was the architect.
The Village Hall was opened on Saturday 18th November 1950 by Mr J W Randall, Managing Director of John Dickinson Co. Ltd.
In 1963 the National Council of Social Service offered to sell the building to the Hall Management Committee for £850 which was accepted.
On 17th September 1965 the Charity Commissioners made an order vesting the property in the Official Custodian for Charities, the Trustees being the Committee of Management.
The Hall receives no regular income from public funds, but is self supporting by income from the hire charges and fund raising activities. Some financial support is also provided by the Parish Council.
More history of the hall
More history of Nash Mills